50 Ways to make your home sell faster!
If you’re thinking of putting your home on the market in the new year, you’ll want to make sure that your home looks its best for prospective home buyers. Making sure that your home shows well not only attracts potential buyers but also keeps savvy real estate agents showing your home over and over again, giving you the best chance to get top dollar for the sale of your home. So, here are fifty great ways to make your home sparkle, shine and catch the attention of even the most finicky of home shoppers.
All over the house
1. Bring in the light – open the shutters and raise the shades.
2. Create a great mood. Turn on lights, day and night. Install higher wattage bulbs to show your home brightly.
3. Make rooms look larger by removing clutter.
4. If you have a fireplace highlight it in your decorating.
5. Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times.
6. If carpet can’t be cleaned, replace it.
7. Have a game plan to get the house quickly in order if necessary.
8. If possible, air out your home for one half-hour before showings. Bad odors are one of the biggest buyer turn-offs.
9. Lightly spray the house with air freshener so that it has a chance to diffuse before buyers arrive.
10. Put family photos in storage.
11. Improve traffic flow through every room by removing unnecessary furniture.
12. Create the feeling of a spacious entry area by using decorative accents and removing unnecessary furniture.
13. Putty over and paint any nail holes or other wall imperfections.
14. Paint all interior walls a neutral color to brighten the home and make it appear bigger.
15. Repair or replace and loose or damaged wallpaper.
16. Clean all light bulbs and light fixtures to brighten the home.
17. Wash all windows inside and out.
18. Use plants, for the homey feel in transitional parts of the house.
19. Make the most of your attic’s potential.
20. Remove or hide excess extension cords and exposed wires.
21. Open doors to areas you want potential buyers to see such as walk-in closets, pantries, attics, etc.
22. Remove all smoke and pet odors.
23. Remove all pets to a safe and secure place.
24. Repair or replace banisters and handrails.
25. Microwave a small dish of vanilla twenty minutes before a showing and place it in an out-of-the-way place.
26. Highlight the eat-in area of your kitchen with a table set for dinner.
27. The kitchen and bathrooms should always be spotlessly clean.
28. Expand you counter space by removing small appliances.
29. Keep dirty close baskets and unfolded laundry stored out of sight.
30. Make sure detergents and laundry cleaners are stored way properly.
31. Create a master suite effect in your decorating.
32. Depersonalize bedrooms and decorate in a neutral scheme.
33. Make sure that the beds are made and linens are clean.
34. Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage.
35. Do not leave towels around and wipe down the sinks and shower areas after each use.
36. Re- caulk the tub if the caulk is not sparkling white.
37. Repair or replace broken tiles in the shower or tub areas
38. Replace shower curtains if necessary and keep them clean.
39. Keep toilet seats and lids down at all times.
40. Keep the yard mowed, trimmed and raked at all times.
41. Use flowering plants to dress up the yard, walkways and patios.
42. Remove all toys, bicycles, tools and unsightly patio furniture and trach from yard.
43. Porches, steps, verandas, balconies, patios and other extensions of the house should be kept uncluttered, swept and in good condition.
44. Paint all entrance doors.
45. Make sure the garage opens easily. Fix and paint garage doors if necessary.
46. Clean and shine all hardware and accessories, indoors and out (door knobs, knockers, lamps, mail box, address numbers, etc.).
47. Trees and shrubs should be trimmed and pruned.
48. Buy a new doormat.
49. Be sure the front doorbell is in good working order.
50. And, if you live on the lake at Lake Oconee, be sure to limb up the trees so everyone can enjoy that great view of the lake!
I hope this helps. Thanks for checking in. I hope you will again.
Have a great day.
For Lake Oconee real estate information call me at 770-826-4137 or access my Keller Williams website at